Information for prison switchboard, APVU and business hub staff to help answer questions from the public regarding the Send money to someone in prison service.
- How can I send money to a prisoner using the new service?
Directly through the service with your debit card.
Or by bank transfer using your online banking website, a mobile banking app or telephone banking. You need to use the service first to get a reference for your bank transfer.
- What bank cards can I use?
You can use Visa, Mastercard and Maestro debit cards.
- What payment methods do not work?
You can not use CHAPS.
You can not make a payment in-person at a bank.
You can not make an international payment using IBAN.
- Can I send money to a prisoner using this service?
Yes. The digital service (bank transfers and debit cards) is available to all prisons in England and Wales.
- How long will it take for the prisoner to receive the money?
Usually the next day.
- Has the prisoner received my money?
Ask the prisoner when they call you.
If you sent money by debit card, you will also receive an email.
- Why didn’t the money reach the prisoner?
If you paid by debit card, contact your bank.
If you paid by bank transfer, it may be because:
- the reference you inserted for the bank transfer is wrong – check with the prisoner that you have the prisoner’s correct date of birth and correct prisoner number
- the prisoner has left prison
- you paid cash in-branch (not allowed)
- you made an international transfer (not allowed)
You’ll only get a refund if the reference you inserted for the bank transfer is incorrect or if the prisoner has left prison.
- How do I check the correct reference number for my bank transfer?
Try to generate the reference.
If the reference can’t be generated, check with the prisoner that you have their correct date of birth and correct prisoner number.
Sometimes the date of birth is entered incorrectly into the prison system. The prisoner might need to ask an officer on the wing to check it and let you know.
- Can I use the bank transfer reference again?
If you want to send money to the same prisoner, you can use the code you generated again.
- How long will it take for me to get a refund from my bank transfer?
If you used an incorrect reference, we will attempt to refund you within 4 working days.
- How will I know I’ve got my refund?
Check your bank account 4 working days after you sent the money.
On your bank statement you’ll see the refund appear as ‘MTP NOMS’.
- How do I get my money back if I made a bank transfer in-branch or by international transfer?
You need to talk to the prison business hub staff to identify the payment. When it’s been identified you will need to write to them confirming:
- who you are
- your address
- how you made the payment (in-branch or international transfer)
- if in-branch, what bank/branch you went to
- your bank
- your sort code, account number
- prisoner’s name
- prisoner’s prison number
When the prison business hub staff get your letter, they’ll send you a cheque.
- If I send money using the service how will my data be used or stored?
Go to: Terms and conditions